Ekurhuleni talks public health


AS a result of the promulgation of the Public Health By-Laws on November 27, 2009, certain activities and premises now require Environmental Health Permits.

These include hair dressers, beauty salons, child care services, accommodation establishments such as guesthouses, B&B’s etc. – as well as offensive trades such as panel beaters, scrap yards and spray painters.

Permits are also required for kennels, catteries and the keeping of poultry.

Furthermore, all food premises must be in possession of a Certificate of Acceptability (COA), which should be clearly displayed for the public according to Regulation R 962 (replacing R918) – Regulations Governing General Hygiene Requirements for Food Premises and the Transport of Food – ( November 23, 2012), promulgated under the Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act, 1972 (Act no 54 of 1972).

There are currently no costs involved with the issuing of such certificates. Food premises should contact their local environmental health practitioner, to arrange for an inspection in loco in order to issue a COA.

An application may be obtained from the following Environmental Health Services offices near you:

  • City House Building, corner of Margaret and Long Street, Kempton Park. Contact Person: Laurina Vollaard 011 999 3982;
  • Vosloorus Environmental Health Office, 1934 Berman Road, Vosloorus Ext 29. Contact Person: Terrence Munyai 011 999 5371;
  • Boksburg Environmental Health Offices, Krynauw Street, Boksburg North. Contact Person(s): Phillip Campher/ Khensani Maluleke; 011 999 5244 or 011 999 5407.

For more information and permit requirements, the Public Health By-Laws are available on www.ekurhuleni.gov.za, or affected people may call on 011 999 3982/3970.

The tariffs are applicable from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 and range from R617 to R1121. Council determines tariffs annually.

Services and businesses are urged to contact the Environmental Health offices as soon as possible, so that permits and certificates may be issued.

Any person operating a service or business without said permit, may be liable for a fine of up to R2000. However, note must be taken that such permits are only issued once the premises are found to be compliant with relevant legislations.

This implies that upon receipt of an application, an inspection will be carried out by an environmental health practitioner – who will set the requirements to be complied with. It will only be after the set requirements have been complied with, that a permit will be issued.

Issued by Themba Gadebe, spokesperson for the EMM.

For free daily local news in the south, visit our sister newspapers Alberton RecordComaro ChronicleSouthern Courier and Get it Joburg South Magazine.

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. You can also email our offices on cvdwalt@caxton.co.zajuliem@caxton.co.za or luckyt@caxton.co.za

Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.

David Pienaar

Latest News